Bruschetta is one of those dishes, it is delicious and seems really simple to make but can go off track pretty quickly. You can end up adding too many ingredients and losing the flavor you are after by making it too complicated. I’ve tried many versions – with olives and capers and peppers, for example, but by far my favorite is this simple bruschetta recipe.
I follow it every time I make it now. My family loves it. I served it at a party, kind of as an afterthought because I had a bunch of tomatoes that needed to be used up, and had three different people tell me it was their favorite appetizer of the night.
When I make it, I usually serve it with crispy bread as an appetizer (you could try this recipe for ciabatta bread). I’ve also served it on pasta instead of sauce, on pasta salad with veggies and on a tossed green salad instead of dressing.Â Simple, versatile and delicious – easy to see why it’s our go-to recipe.
- 3 cups halved or quartered grape tomatoes
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 1 celery stick thinly sliced
- 1/2 c red wine vinegar
- 3/4 c olive oil
- 1T dried oregano (you can use fresh if available)
- 1T chopped fresh parsley
- 2t finely chopped garlic
- 1t kosher salt
- 1t ground black pepper
- prepare onion and garlic, place in a small bowl, pour vinegar over and set aside, let sit for about 20 minutes while prepping remaining ingredients
- prepare tomato, celery, garlic and parsley
- combine in glass bowl, add olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper
- add vinegar mixture
- toss/stir lightly to mix ingredients
- serve on toasted sliced french or ciabatta bread
Of course, I always say recipes are flexible, try it as written but don’t be afraid to make adjustments to the finished dish. I would never have included celery, two of my kids aren’t crazy about celery (and one doesn’t love tomatoes either) but they love this bruschetta so I’m glad I gave it a chance.
Now it’s your turn, do you have a favorite bruschetta recipe? I’d love to know what you add to make your version. Please post in the comments below, if I make it maybe I’ll feature it here, too!
Yum, I love homemade bruschetta! This looks delicious!
Looks delicious! May have to try this weekend.